Brick from Hadleigh Farm Colony impressed ‘William Booth’.
In 1891, to help people escape from the poverty and disease of overcrowded and insanitary city slums, the Salvation Army opened a 'Farm Colony' at Hadleigh in Essex. It was a fully working farm with its own market-gardens, orchards, brickfields and milk production.
Milk bottle from Hadleigh Farm Colony.
Oval metal lockable fundraising box with picture of William Booth, used to collect money for social and goodwill work.
Packet of Salvation Army tea sold to raise money for women’s social work.
Tea solid to raise funds for the Swiss Salvation Army.
1889 - 6oz. portion of bread issued to Salvationist prisoners on leaving Winchester Prison in 1889 following disturbances at Whitchurch.
1892 - Piece of bread brought out of prison on his release by Captain C.H. Gardner in 1892, after serving 14 days for causing unlawful obstruction.
Mahogany, leather and metal concertina used by The Salvation Army.
Black-painted wooden tambourine with hide drum and brass jingles
Cornet engraved ‘The first cornet played in the Christian Mission and the Salvation Army 1878’ which belonged to early Salvationist George Leedham.
Violin which belonged to Richard Slater who was popularly known as the 'Father of Salvation Army Music'.
Pith helmet with Salvation Army hat band, used in overseas work.
Bass drum from Hopetown Women’s hostel, Whitechapel. The drum was presented to the hostel by a group of residents.